Sunday, April 30, 2017

Grits Parmesan

Hey guys! Food Adventure time! Thought I would try something a little bit different today. Something vegetarian would be nice. Something healthy would be good, too. Got to get in shape for summer. The two things I love are Italian food and southern food, so tonight's experiment is Grits Parmesan.

I made some grits earlier in the morning. I added a little bit of basil, garlic and Parmesan, let it cool to room temperature, and put them in the fridge until I was ready to make dinner.   Heat some oil in a skillet, cut the grits into 6 little biscuit shaped cakes, roll them in Italian bread crumbs, and put them in the hot oil. Cook until the edges are a crispy, golden brown. Flip once and do the same thing for the other side.



Now, my grits cakes are golden brown and cooked to perfection. Put a nice bed of fresh spinach on the plate for the grits cakes to rest in, and smother with the heated up a jar of some of our sweet, delicious, homemade marinara sauce. Yummy! Cover that with with a little grated cheese and presto! Dinner is done -- 22 minutes from start to finish. Helps to have the grits and marinara made ahead of time.



I served this with a Yellow Tail Shiraz, an ensalada de caprese in my homemade vinaigrette, and a fresh multi-grain baguette with olive oil for dipping. The most expensive item was the fresh mozzarella for the salad, and that was about 2 bucks on a BOGO. Total cost of the dinner was about 5 dollars since we had the majority of the ingredients.



Tony Rating; 3.75 stars.

 It was a good dish. I will make it again. Did not think it was all that when I ate it, but about a half our later I was craving more. Sneaky good, I think next time I will put more garlic and more cheese in it. I did not want to over-power it since it was the first time I ever made this dish. The cakes would also be good for etouffee and shrimp in grits. A cool, new way to serve an old southern classic.

Sandy's Rating:  4.0

This was a very good meal.  It could've used a little onion, a little more cheese, and maybe some bacon crumbles or pork cracklins in the grits, but the crunchy little cakes were delightful.  Tony topped them with our homemade marinara, and it was amazing.  (Can't wait to have pizza with it next week!)  I can envision a lot of ways to top them.

Until next time. All men must dine. ~Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment