Sunday, May 21, 2017

Pork Steaks with Lemon Grass


Hello, foodies!  This week's food adventure comes from a cheap little Thai food cookbook I bought years ago.  I modified this recipe to what is available and to my tastes a bit, so read the notes before you go shopping.

Ingredients:
2 lemon grass stalks, outer leaves removed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. lime juice
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. coconut milk
4 pork steaks
lime wedges, to garnish

1.  Finely chop the lemon grass in place in a bowl with the garlic, pepper, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, oil, lime juice, spring onions, and coconut milk.  Mix well to combine.

2.  Place the pork steaks in a large, shallow, non-metallic dish.  Pour over the marinade and turn the steaks until coated.  Cover the dish with clingfilm and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

3.  Preheat the grill to medium.  Cook the pork steaks under the hot grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.  Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.

Notes:

*  I have never found fresh lemon grass anywhere.  I substitute with the pre-chopped stuff in a tube and have no real idea how much two stalks would be.  I equate it to a tablespoon and match the measurements on the package.

*  Thai fish sauce is an acquired taste, one that I really never acquired.  However, the first time I tried to make a recipe from this book and it called for it, I ran out to buy it.  It has lasted years.  I do not use the two tablespoons it calls for, but rather added extra soy sauce and threw in a 1/2 teaspoon of the fish sauce for a little more authentic flavor.  I don't even pour it in the measuring spoon over the pot for fear of spilling the excess in my dish.  When I run out of it, I will just substitute soy sauce instead.

*  I substitute creamed coconut, re-hydrated, in this dish and use twice the amount.  It didn't make sense to me to buy a 12 oz. can of coconut milk to only use two tablespoons when I had creamed coconut at home already.

*  The secret ingredient:  1 raw egg.  When I cook anything with an Asian flavor and have to marinade it, I always add an egg.  It helps the meat absorb the flavors better.

*  Not sure what it is with this cookbook that thinks all meat is cooked in 5-10 minutes.  It took 20 minutes on the grill, and could've maybe cooked another 5 minutes without drying it out.

*  Sesame oil is a bit expensive, but it adds so much flavor that once you've used it, you can't go without it.

*  We paired this with coconut rice, green beans from the garden, and a nice riesling.

Ratings:

Sandy:  I have been a bit under the weather this weekend, and, as such, have not had much of an appetite.  I did eat two bites of my pork chop, and it was tender, juicy, and well-flavored.  However, it will now be Monday's lunch.

Tony:  4 stars.

It was grilled to perfection.  The marinade really saturated the meat and kept it tender.  The green onions made it snap.  And, the lemongrass, garlic and coconut flavors really came out in the meat.  My only regret is we waited so long to eat, but I will have a fabulous lunch on Monday.

Cost:
pork chops - on sale for a little over $4
green onions - 69 cents a bunch
Soy sauce - about $2

Everything else was stocked in our kitchen, and, as it is just Tony and I, I only used two of the four pork chops.

Until next time...
Sandy





No comments:

Post a Comment