Sunday, June 4, 2017

White BBQ Sauce

This is an Alabama favorite.   White barbecue sauce.  There are a few variations of a recipe out for this, and this one, sent to me by a friend a few weeks ago, is really good.  

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh, cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp. white wine worcestershire sauce


Mix all ingredients.  Apply liberally to chicken on a hot grill until chicken is thoroughly cooked.


Enjoy!  We served ours with mustard greens and red beans with pork.

Notes:

*  I like my barbecue sauce with a little more heat than the recipe calls for, so I substituted a couple of tablespoons of cayenne pepper.  It added a nice degree of heat without being overbearing.
*  I wasn't able to locate the white wine worcestshire sauce, so I used the regular stuff.  I don't know the difference, so I can't speak to how this changes the flavor.
*  We use it on chicken most often, but I'm thinking of using the leftover on some grilled shrimp sometime soon!

Sandy's rating:  4.5 stars
This takes me back to my childhood.  The same creamy barbecue flavor that you just don't find in anything else.  I will definitely be making this again.

Tony's rating:  4.0 stars
I was surprised at how much it tasted like barbecue sauce for being so light.  I was surprised at how tangy and sweet it was.  Most of the time when you do that, you can taste the cayenne and the vinegar is way more prominent.  It truly was white barbecue sauce.  I can't wait to try it on shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment