Monday, October 30, 2017

Bean and Bacon Soup


It's getting a little colder outside and that means it's the perfect time for soup!  This week, I'll make an old favorite:  bean and bacon soup.

Ingredients:

1 lb. bag of navy beans, soaked and already cooked
3 cups of chicken broth
2 carrots, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6-8 strips of bacon
a handful of parsley



1.  Fry up about half the bacon and set aside on a paper towel.   Pour about half of the bacon grease into a container and set aside.  Cut the remaining bacon in to small pieces for later.






2.  Saute the chopped onion and garlic in the remaining bacon grease.  When done, transfer to a large pot.







3.  Put the onions, carrots, celery, beans and small pieces of bacon in 3 cups of water and 3 cups of chicken broth.  Add a handful of parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for approximately 35-45 minutes.




4.  Sprinkle with bacon crumbles when serving.



Notes:

*  I substituted beef broth for chicken broth because I had some I needed to use.  I don't think this changed the flavor noticeably.

*  I was out of garlic, and substituted garlic salt.  I missed the garlic.

*  We worked late the day this was made, and I tried to combine the cook time for the beans and for the soup.  I don't believe that worked out very well, and won't do it again.

Sandy's rating:  3.75 stars

I don't know if I added the bacon grease too early or if the idea of combining the cook time of the beans with the cook time of the soup created the problem, but the texture of the soup just wasn't right.  It had a nice bacon flavor, and the beans were done, but the liquid was too thin.  I usually make bean and ham soup, and don't run into this problem.   I'm just not sure it's the bacon.

Tony's rating:  3.0 stars

The flavor was good, but it was a bit watery.  Next time I wouldn't add the bacon grease.

Cost:  about $10

I threw out the receipts, but this is a relatively inexpensive dish, except for the bacon.  And, it makes leftovers.

~Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment